How To Do Laundry When You Have Septic System
Roughly 25% of the houses in the US have a septic system, and doing laundry the wrong way can severely damage your septic system, causing it to fail and turning your day into a nightmare.
Septic emergencies can become very common if you don’t provide the right kind of maintenance to your septic system. But fear not, with these simple tips, you can keep your septic system running smoothly as you prevent your laundry sessions from damaging it.
Tips for septic conscious laundry
● Don’t do more than 2 laundry loads per day.
● Go for a top loading or front loading high efficiency washer.
● Always run laundry wastewater through the septic tank and not directly through the drainfield.
● Powdered detergents tend to form clogs throughout your septic system, blocking it and causing it to fail.
● Choose homemade laundry products. These are usually safer because the dom’t contain soil-clogging fillers.
● Add a lint filter to the washer’s drainage line.
● Try to installing a dry well to capture laundry greywater.
● Finally, if you’re not into making your own detergent, consider this list approved by septic system experts:
○ Arm & Hammer Laundry Detergent
○ Charlie’s Soap Laundry Detergent
○ Earth Friendly Laundry Products
○ Dr. Bronner’s Sal Suds
○ Amway S-A-8
○ Country Save Laundry Products
○ Fresh Start
○ Biokleen Laundry Powder
○ Ecover Laundry Products
○ Planet Laundry Products
○ Mrs. Meyers Laundry Detergent
○ Mountain Green Ultra Laundry Liquid
○ Seventh Generation Laundry Products
○ Ultra Citra-Suds Natural Laundry Detergent
This post is sponsored by Jones Septic, the experts in septic tank pumping in the New York area providing septic pumping to Wappingers Falls, NY. For more information, call this number +1 (845)452-1123, or contact them through their website.